Wednesday, January 2, 2013

So far, so good!

Before I get into resolution talk, again, let me make a little announcement. Elf on the Shelf are on sale at Barnes & Noble for 30% off!!! And members get an additional 10% off. So, if you want to get a girlfriend or boyfriend for your elf for next year, now is the time to get it. Bonus, the skirts are 50% off! They aren't with the elves anymore. They have put them in one of the many Christmas clearance tables spread throughout the store. I had to hunt for them. Almost all the Christmas stuff is 50% off now. Including books!!! So many good children's books on clearance! Stock up for next year. :)

On to resolutions! I got a book on my BBC Top 100 list, The Count of Monte Cristo. The copy I bought is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series. Hardcover classic books from only $7.95. And it was 50% off! Plus, 10% for members. The final price was $3.57 for a nice, hardbound book! That is a great deal! I might have to pick up a few more tomorrow. ;)

I'm also reading through Lois Lowry's books. A good friend of mine is an English teacher and she suggested I read The Giver. I started and finished it yesterday. It is written for middle school age students, but it was still a fun read. I love utopian/dystopian novels. (Brave New World is one of my all time favorites.) Once I finish the next three in the series, I'm going to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. What? But you just bought that Cristo novel? Yes, but there is a book club in town and their next meeting is about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. It's on the BBC list and I'm hoping to meet a few adults around here.Two birds with one stone.

As for Science Nerd books, I picked up Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History by Penny Le Couteur & Jay Burreson and Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements From Arsenic to Zinc by Hugh Aldersey-Williams. I really loved The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World From the Periodic Table of Elements by Sam Kean. I'm hoping these two are as interesting as that one.

As for my running resolution, I ran 2 miles yesterday even though we still have snow all over the roads. Since it was New Year's Day, the gym was closed. But I really wanted to start of on the right foot. Or rather, my left foot, that's my dominant one. :) It was 28 degrees outside, but I found that once you get going you're not worried about the cold. It was actually a little fun running in the snow. I know, I'm one of those weirdo runners.

January 2nd. Books read: 1. BBC list: 34. Miles run: 2


No comments:

Post a Comment